Union Cemetery

About this Cemetery

Union Cemetery, known locally as Monticello Union, was established in 1884 and located west of the Town of Monticello. The land was first patented to George W Walker as bounty land given to officers and soldiers under an act passed by Congress on 3 Mar 1855.

Walker sold this land to F. L Kueker on 29 Dec 1868, and then he sold a portion of this land to the Union Cemetery Company. There are 23 marked Kuekler inscriptions in this cemetery, including an old stone for Fred Kueker in the old central area of the cemetery.

The earliest recorded interment was in 1859 and noted on the Garrett memorial. There are a number of surviving stones from throughout the 1860s, and it is apparent this cemetery was in use long before it was established in 1884.

Interments by Decade

On May 5, 1936 the Monticello Cemetery District Association was formed to care for the cemetery, and now manages four beautiful cemeteries in the area. Although Monticello Township was disbanded and annexed to the cities of Lenexa and Shawnee recently, the cemetery district boundaries remain unchanged.

Union Memorial

The Memorial

The following is inscribed on the Union Memorial:

- To our heroes of 1861-1865 Dedicated May 30, 1895
- To the memory of our soldiers who starved in southern prisons
- To the memory of our unknown dead
- Asleep unnamed unknown until Gods angels on the whirlwind rides to claim his own
- Erected by John Anderson Womans Relief Corps No. 194 Wilder Kan.